Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Junky Drawers

Having just had a yard sale, one would think that my house would be free of clutter.  One would be wrong - very wrong.  While I got rid of a lot of junk (like 15 boxes of junk), there seems to be a jillion potential boxes left.  And we're talking big boxes.  Huge.

For instance, I have tons of notepads of every size and sort.  Do I use them?  Sometimes.  But keep in mind that use is probably one sheet a week.  If I never received another notepad, and wrote a list everyday, I still would not run out of notepads.  Ever.

I also have about 25 pairs of scissors of all shapes, sizes, and sharpness.  Granted, I have this many because I finally put them all together in one container.  And I probably have this many because of all the times that I couldn't find one pair of scissors, much less 25, and went out and bought some more (many in packs).  Some of them wouldn't cut melted butter, but I still have them.  Why?  Because they're scissors.

My desk drawer is also full to doo-dads and thingamajigs.  It was probably the inspiration for Ariel's beginning song in "The Little Mermaid" (it's astounding how many ideas those Disney people have stolen from my life).  Most of the stuff is there because "I might need it one day."  Even though it's been many days/years/decades and I still haven't needed it.  But I can't seem to get rid of it because if I do, I'll need it tomorrow.

I know much of my collection of stuff is a leftover from my teaching years.  As a teacher, you pretty much grab and hold on to anything because you can probably use it in the classroom.  And if it's free, it's even more valuable.  And since teachers have to live on their salary as well as procure supplies for their classrooms, they certainly are not going to get rid of anything.  Ever.

So since I no longer teach, nor cut so many things with scissors that the ones I have are dull, nor write down things on little pieces of notepad paper, what shall I do?  Actually get rid of it?  Clear stuff out so that I only have two or three pairs of scissors, and a notepad or two, and nothing in my desk drawer except those things that I use regularly during a week's time?

I do like living a wild and crazy life ...
***********************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  Two miles with KB; a task or two accomplished

No comments: