Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Virtual Donna Half-Marathon


As I've said many times, the Breast Cancer Marathon, or 26.2 With Donna, is one of my favorite and repeated races (by the way, I do the half-marathon portion of the race).  I was in danger of not continuing my streaker status this year due to a conflict with Disney's Princess Half-Marathon.  But it all got worked out, since Donna created a virtual race for runners to complete.  All you had to do was do your 13.1 miles in another race or on your own.

I did my 13.1 in conjuction with the Miami Half Marathon in early February.  I met two women at the start of the race who were doing the same thing.  Only they took their picture before the race with both bibs and took them off for the race.  I did not, hence the lovely condition (and added pins) of my Donna bib after a few hours (and hours and hours) of rain and sweat.  Nevertheless, I did my 13.1 for Donna, raised the required Mayo Clinic donation, took my before/after pictures, and waited for my medal to arrive - which it did today.  Which is when I will officially list it as done.

Cheering at the Tampa 3-Day!!
As always, this medal is for my friend Emily.  We became friends when we both lived in Florida and our sons were friends.  We moved away (and away and away), and reconnected when I was asking for donations for a 3-Day BC Walk I was doing.  She was recovering from breast cancer surgery that year - talking about timing!  Every year that I do this race, it marks one more year as a breast cancer survivor for her.  So as symbolic as this race is for many reasons, the fact that every year means another year being cancer free for Emily makes the race even more important.  It means that the monies raised for breast cancer causes makes a difference in research, in treatment, and in all the ways that these organizations help.  It means that every step taken, both in a race or walk and in the fight against breast cancer, is making a difference.  It means that there will be more survivors and more moments in life for these survivors and their friends and families.  But most of all, each year that I do this race, it means that Emily has completed another year in her life - and that's the true medal worth celebrating!
**************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  breakfast at First Watch with Steve and Molly; beautiful sunny spring day

No comments: