Friday, June 6, 2014

And Then There's Quicken ...

I thought yesterday's treat of a day would be all I could handle this week.  I should really stop thinking ...

I use Quicken for my home finances, mostly to see where we spend money.  Lately every time I log on, I get a prompt asking if I want to update Quicken.  Since I am up-to-date on very little, this seems like something I could do.  So I click on the link.  Of course, nothing happens that I can see.  But I guess it gets updated, because eventually I click back on Quicken.  Only it says that I need to restart Windows to finish updating.  So I restart Windows.  And I restart it for the next ten times that I click on Quicken.

Eventually I get a little tired of restarting, so I decide to go to the top and contact Quicken.  I log in and find that I am number two in the que, and somebody should be chatting with me in 7.42 minutes.  Eventually Hector comes online and we discuss my problem.  He tells me to download a Mondo patch and that should fix everything.  I do as he says and then follow Mondo as it says.  And then I click on Quick who says I need to restart Windows.  Which I tell Hector and also tell him that if I restart Windows, it will end our cyber relationship.  He gives me a parting tip and says good luck.  And so I restart Windows.  And I click on Quicken.  Who tells me to restart Windows.

Instead of throwing my computer out the window, I decide to return to Quicken Support.  This time I get somebody called Desdemona or something, who basically gives me advice such as how to turn on the machine, did I input my correct user name and/or password, and could I explain what the problem was, etc.  I get pretty sick of her and try the Mondo patch again and restart Windows again and get Desi out of my life.

This time my computer goes all ape-crazy and tells me there is some huge problem and it needs to fix itself.  Then it says it needs to restore back to a time when it didn't have this problem (don't we all).  Not seeing any other choice, I tell it to go ahead.  This time when it restarts and I click on Quicken, I find that Quicken is gone.  Completely.  I guess Hector and/or Desi decided to take my Quicken into protected custody.

I decided to return to Amazon where I purchased Quicken to re-download it.  Which I kind of do, only it just keeps spinning.  So I try various browsers to download it.  But one says I need to download an Amazon downloader, but the browser thinks it's too dangerous to do so and refuses to do it.  So basically I have no Quicken.

But then I remember that my laptop has Quicken on it.  But I don't like keeping my books on my laptop because I have a history of laptops eating all my files and then die a quick death, thus deleting my history.  Nevertheless, I manage to pull up Quicken on the laptop, and begin to download my online files (thank goodness I decided to do this awhile back).  Except that apparently whatever password I used is nothing that I can remember.  So Quicken Online and I sent several emails back and forth to reset and send passwords.  Eventually I got my data, got on Quicken, and updated my numbers.  They were as stellar as I expected...

So as of this writing, I have Quicken, just not where I want it.  I'm sure there's a way to achieve this, but it shall have to wait until another day.  I'm sure there's something waiting to break for tomorrow's fun ...
************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  Quicken problem solved, just not the way I wanted it to; laundry completed; Everley spending the night

No comments: