Monday, June 23, 2014

The Delayed Prize Patrol

Since Marilyn is in town for a conference, we decided to have a pre-birthday party for her with the family (her actual birthday is Friday, June 27).  Everybody was in town (or getting back after a work trip) and everybody was finished working for the day (or at least delivering the last of the mail for the day).  Marilyn's pal Alice and her husband Gerald were coming down for Kentucky for the shindig (and by shindig I mean dinner.  On the dining table.  With real plates.  And food made in my kitchen.). Anyhow, at some point everyone assembled, we managed to eat the food, presents were opened, and cupcakes were consumed.

Except that I forgot the party candles and dessert plates and birthday buttons (this is a "special" birthday for Marilyn, you know, the kind that has special "Happy ??th" on things).  I found them the next day when I was putting clothes away in my closet (I had stored the birthday stuff in a special "don't forget these but keep them hidden so nobody will see them" place).  So I gave them to Marilyn to take home for her real birthday party this upcoming weekend.

I'm convinced that my "oops, I forgot" moments are genetic.  My mother was also a victim of this malady. Many Christmases, after opening all our gifts, our mother would say, "Did you get (insert gift name here)." We would say, "No, I didn't."  And off she would go to her bedroom to look in the closet or under her bed and come back with the prized present.  It was sort of like a bonus present, after everything else had been opened.  Come to think of it, maybe that's why some of us have this affliction, the "I think there's something else" disorder.  It's not some confusion or forgetfulness on our part - it's just an unconscious effort to make the party going.  And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Meanwhile, in case it was your birthday and you didn't receive a gift from me, don't despair.  I'll send it along - just as soon as I run across it in its secret hiding place!!
***********************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  picking up Lindley and Everley at school; family birthday party for Marilyn with the fam and Alice and Gerald; Lindley and Everley time

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

So happy to have the special candles, button, balloons, etc. for the continuing bday celebration! Thanks for a wonderful time! love you!