Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Middle-Age Lady Mania

KB called me this morning offering tickets to see MOVE this evening.  In case you don't know what MOVE is, Google it.  In case you don't want to do that, I'll give you a brief overview.  It's Derek Hough (of Dancing with the Stars fame) and his sister Julianne (of Dancing with the Stars former fame and wannabe country music sensation and former Ryan Seacrest girlfriend).  I have always enjoyed the Houghs and their dancing on their respective DWTS seasons.  And while I had not bought any tickets myself, I accepted these tickets from KB and decided to go for her and her mom, who is not doing well.  I called Molly and she agreed to go with me.

I picked up Molly at 7pm (the show started at 7:30 - well, it was supposed to start then).  We headed downtown, as the show was going to be at the historic Ryman Auditorium.  I don't know why it was held there, since one would think that a dancing program would need a great big stage.  But for whatever reason, it was going to be at the Ryman.

We parked the car and headed to the show and got in the entrance line that wrapped all around the block. Seriously.  We got in and found our seats, no thanks to the usher who directed us to the wrong side of the auditorium.  Anyhow, we sat down (for those of you who have yet to come to Nashville as a visitor and embrace the Country Musicness of it all, the Ryman seating is composed of pews - like in church).  By this time it was 7:30pm, time for the show to start, and people (as in crowds) were still streaming in.  By the hundreds (the Ryman is not a huge auditorium, by the way).  Finally, at 8pm, everyone had found a seat, after visiting the souvenir table (yes, for their bags and t-shirts and whatever) and getting a beer.  It was showtime!!

So here's my rendition of the show ...  First of all, we were seated by one of the massive speakers, which meant we heard every loud note of every loud pumping song.  And by pumping I mean the bass was super turned up so it helped regulate my heartbeat.  Unfortunately, the massive sound speaker also blocked my view of half the stage, so much of the time I did not get to see the fabulous entrances of the two main performers - Derek and Julianne.  Who, by the way, elicited a big reaction everytime they appeared on stage.  What is a huge reaction?  The audience (made up of 90% middle-aged women) would stand and scream and wave their arms.  I can only think they were reliving the 70s and their first rock concert.

Of course it helped that in every dance, Derek either (a) tore off his shirts, or (b) didn't wear a shirt at all, thus showing his no-hair muscled six-pack abs.  Meanwhile Julianne came out in a variety of shorts or body suits that had blotches of fabric over the nether regions/parts.  There were ten backup dancers who all pretty much dressed in whatever fashion the main two performers did.

Anyhow, Derek and Julianne danced with each other (kinda weird) and danced alone and danced with their group of dancers.  Everything was very fast and quick and gyrating and sashaying and pole dancing and slinging around heads and hair.  They also sang a song or two and revved up the crowd even more - which I thought was near-impossible.  They brought some men and women up from the audience to dance with which was quite entertaining in itself.  And it all brought out more clapping and standing and screaming from the audience.

I have to say it was a great show, both on stage and in the pews.  Molly and I had a great time, just watching everything and everybody.  Now if my ears would just stop ringing ...
**********************************************************************
Today was a great day because: Everley sleepover; cute pictures of Lindley and Everley in their new swim gear; Ryman to see the Houghs with Molly; quick check with KB

No comments: