Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas Traditions of My Past That Have Stayed There

Growing up, my family had many Christmas traditions. Below is a list of those I have abandoned, followed by reasons why. Maybe I should reconsider some of them ...

1. Red velvet cake. Love it, but don't make it. Makes it a treat when I have it (and somebody else makes it).

2. Fruit cake. Never had it, don't want it. Looks too scary.

3. Spiced tea. When I was young, my sister told me someone threw up in the punch bowl full of spiced tea (a sister lie). It did have that consistency and color, so I have never partaken of said tea.

4. Brazil nuts. Were always in my stocking. Don't know what they are, where my parents got them, or why they thought it belonged in my stocking. Don't know what they taste like, since we never managed to crack them open.

5. Dressing up in Sunday clothes on Christmas Eve. My mother had too much time on her hands. I don't even think I own Sunday clothes anymore (that's what happens when your church meets in a movie theater).

6. The unending "Christmas treats and desserts" table. My thighs should tell you why I don't do this one.

7. The Christmas popcorn tin. We got one every year and my parents refused to toss it until all the popcorn was gone. Trust me, that popcorn does not taste good come June!

8. Going out and cutting down our own Christmas tree (more like a overgrown Christmas "bush" in rural Mississippi). I no longer live on a farm, I don't like sap, and I hate the inevitable bloody hands resulting when I finally took down the tree after Christmas (tree gets kinda dry when you forget to water it).

I guess the tradition that I have kept is that Christmas is all about family. It's about a family meal (last year was Cereal Christmas and Dippin Dots), giving gifts (swapping and swiping gift cards), and making memories (Win, Lose, or Draw.) Those are the best traditions of all.

No comments: