Friday, December 28, 2007

Disney World and the Real World

I love Disney World for a great many things - the imagination, the fun, the attention to detail, and all the things that make it Disney. But today I experienced two moments that make Disney World even more endearing to me. I guess you could say they were my kind of "magical moments."

The first occurred when I was on the bus headed to Molly's room at Old Key West. I was on the bus and had cleared the security booth. We rode over the bridge. On the left side of the bridge is the tee box for a golf hole. I usually glance to see if anyone is playing. Today I looked over and saw three men getting ready to tee off. The fourth was over on the side, next to the tree line, facing away from the others. It didn't take a genius to figure out he was doing an imitation of a sprinkler. He was watering the flora and fauna - he was tinkling in the bushes - he was urinating in the woods. No, I didn't actually see his pipes, but I've been in enough races to know what men do. And no, he wasn't looking for a lost golf ball. I'm sure he did not realize that a bus load of people could see what he was up to - and on a Disney golf course!!

The second incident occurred while I was in line at guest services, waiting for an answer to a question. The couple in front of me did not speak English. I know this, because English is the only language I do know and I did not understand any of the words they were using. I did see a receipt for $200 in their hands. When it was their turn to receive assistance, they went to their helper. Apparently their problem was with some headsets they had. The helper lady took the headsets and went off to do something, leaving the couple at the counter. On the counter in front of them was a Mickey Mouse phone. I looked over at them to see the man saluting the Mickey phone with one finger, the middle one, to be exact. He saw me noticing his gesture - I smiled and he smiled back. We shared a moment.

What do these mean to me? I love Disney World for all the fantasy and fun that it represents. But these two incidents remind me that it is just vacation, and there are real people who come here. Real people who do things here that they do in real life. Real people who do things, not always realizing that other people see. Real people who, when caught, need reassurance that their actions are understandable and don't define their whole existence as a human being.

Sure, I could have made a big deal out of the actions of these two men. I could have rushed out to the golf course and lectured the tinkle man. I could have frowned and fussed at the finger man. Instead, I decided to let them be human, as I hope people would let me.

In the end, by sharing a smile with the one whose language I could not speak, I made a connection. We understood each other, accepted each other, and made a friend. I hope I remember this the next time I want to rush to judgement of another. I hope I remember that whatever real or play world we may be in, we are truly all in it together.

No comments: