Monday, October 31, 2011

And To Think, I Grew Up On A Farm!!

One of the things that has always signified the onset of winter is my cutting down my knockout rose bushes. Today, since the weather was nice and it's about the time that the brush collectors come on our street, I decided to get the job done.

At first, I was going to do this job in stages, since I have six different areas of rosebushes (for a total of about 24 rosebushes). After I got the first area done, I took a break and then decided to finish up the entire job, resulting in about 15 bags of clippings. It was long and tedious, but I was glad to get it all finished. The results of my hard work were also evident when I took a shower and noticed my stomach looked like I had been in a knife fight - scratches all over.

Anyhow, I was feeling pretty good about my day's work, until I (for some insane reason) decided to read a bit on a knockout rose website. According to the information I read, one should prune the bushes in the spring - never in the fall and never in the winter. Of course, then I read another website that said to prune them in the later winter and early spring. It also said to prune them to six inches - about three inches more than I lopped them off. So, in other words, check back next spring to see if my knockout roses will return.

And, in case you were still considering it, don't ask me for gardening advice!!

**************************************************************************************
Today's blessings: Taking Steve to airport and his safe travel south; finishing yardwork (and possibly the roses); trick-or-treating with Elmo Lindley, Abby Lynnette, Mr. Noodles Sam, Molly, and Maribeth; little (and not-so-little) trick-or-treaters

No comments: