Friday, March 15, 2013

A Tale of Two Kathys

Today must be Kathy Happy Day.  Otherwise why would I have been blessed with two packages in one day?  Let me explain ...

Once upon a time, I grew up in a small town in Mississippi.  Our family went to the First Baptist Church, which is where I first met Kathy A.  She was older than I, and one of those older church girls that your mother wanted you to be.  At least mine did.  Kathy A was beautiful, kind, sweet, sang like an angel, and played the piano like nobody's business.  In my eyes, and pretty much everybody else's, she was the ideal.  Our real relationship came into play when I was in high school.  I had taken piano lessons since I was in the third grade from Mrs. P, a kindly old lady of about 107 (or so it seemed to me).  To put it kindly, our relationship deteriorated over all those years of piano lessons, and by the time I reached high school, it had gotten to the point where I'm not sure which of us dreaded that hour the most.  My mother, adamant that I not quit piano lessons, was determined that I would continue this musical endeavor.  Somehow she convinced Kathy A to get me through those last few years (I secretly also think she was hoping at least some of Kathy A would rub off on me so I would become the Southern lady Kathy A was - it didn't).  Luckily for everyone, I decided to graduate high school a year early, thus possibly saving Kathy A many years of therapy.

Anyhow, fast forward a whole bunch of years, and Kathy A and I reconnected on Facebook.  We caught up on each other's lives (her musical career continued - mine, not so much).  I found out that she sold Scentsy, which is an amazing lighted warming scented thing, which of course, I had to get several.  And then several more because I kept giving mine away.  Today I got a package from her of some Scentsy scents, plus some lotions from her Spa for Life products (this probably sounds like a commercial, but it isn't - I just wanted to emphasize that this is really good stuff, not something that she swiped from a hotel).  She also enclosed a very sweet note which made the whole package such a wonderful, sweet surprise - as if one would expect anything else from her!  So, that was Kathy Blessing #1.

In the same mail drop, there was a package from Kathy D, whom I met cyber-spatially a few years ago.  Basically, I had read some of her writings on Sam's Cool People Care website and knew that she was from Florida and liked Disney (and some other things, but Disney was enough to deem her a pretty cool person).  Anyhow, at some point I had a girls trip planned for Disney World and ended up with an extra room that we weren't going to use.  So, I thought of Kathy and her family.  So through Sam, I connected with her to see if they might want the room for the weekend.  I mean, that wasn't weird, right?  Saying, "Hey, got an extra room, stranger.  Want to come stay there for the weekend?"  Well, I guess we Disney people consider ourselves family, so she took me up on the offer and brought her husband and two little girls (who were very little at the time).  She also brought me a beautiful Mickey Mouse quilt that she had made, because she's like that.

Which leads me to her package which contained two quilts, two embroidered towels, and two bags, all for our  Udderly Pink silent auction.  She made all but one of the bags, which she donated for the cause. Kathy D is an honorary member of Udderly Pink, which means she won't be walking, but apparently is making up for all those walking hours by quilting and making awesome things, which is natural, since she is pretty awesome herself.  So that was Kathy Blessing #2.

So I decided today must be Kathy Happy Day because two Kathys that are in my life made me very happy today.  But the really neat thing is that it's really not that they send me such awesome packages - it the blessing that I have of knowing both of these extremely kind, beautiful, and amazingly talented women.    Come to think of it, I didn't create Kathy Happy Day, God did.  How else would this wonderful day and these wonderful women have happened to me!!!
******************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  Kathy packages; Factory dinner with the girls; picking up Lindley at school; GDiz's continued health improvement

5 comments:

Dr. Larry Anderson said...

Well, let me tell you, sweet lady...you may have been pouring out accolades to these two Kathy ladies in your life--and I am immensely thankful for both of them (although I know only one of them)--but you are a real and rare treasure, yourself.

Ya see? It's extremely easy to be friends with Luanne. That effervescent, radiant, ready smile that bursts across your face sends God's sunshine straight into the heart of anyone who encounters your countenance. You're beautiful, both inside and out. You have blessed more people than you know, so take a bow and accept the gifts that God bestows on others, as they flow through you.

Your generous (but true, I might add) words about my sweet Kathy are so appreciated. Of course, she's the one who deserves all the praise in this marriage, because she has put up with this ole codger since April 20, 1963!! And, we still remember with great joy, the photo of the "decorations" you and John placed upon my truck upon the occasion of Chad's birth! You Lewis folks have always been so thoughtful.

So, thanks for who you are, for what you mean to throngs of people who are blessed to be in your midst, and for the profound positive impact you have had upon our lives for these several years.

Kathy A and I truly do "thank our God upon every remembrance of you!"

--Larry A.

Marilyn said...

Well said Dr. Anderson! Love that FB helps us reconnect with our roots! Love to you and Kathy from Baltimore.

Luanne said...

Thanks Larry!!

Kat said...

I love what Larry said, how true. You are a special one indeed, Luanne! (And I mean special in the best possible way!!!)

Luanne said...

Thanks Kat!!