Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Non-Fundraising Letter Blog Post

I have walked in four previous Breast Cancer Komen 3-Day events.  The first time in 2001, I thought would be a "one and done" event.  My friend Emily went with me to Atlanta and worked on the medical team.  It was an awesome experience - truly a "once in a lifetime" experience.  Or so I thought.

Six years later in 2007, I was going to turn 50 and noticed that a walk was scheduled on my birthday, so I participated in that one.  My daughter-in-law Lynnette said that she would do it with me, so we headed to the Twin Cities and did our 60 miles.  And I said that would be my last one.  Sometimes "once in a lifetime" happens twice.

Two years later in 2009 my sister Marilyn said she wanted to do one.  So we chose the last scheduled walk for that year which was in San Diego.  Certainly three "once in a lifetimes" was all that would be scheduled for my lifetime.

Until last year, when my daughter Molly and my friends Karen B, Karen P, Jo, and Sharon said they wanted to do one.  Since they were all newbies, how could I not agree?  I wish that everyone could experience those amazing three days on the road during the day and in the tents at night.  So we headed to the hills of San Francisco, which I thought would be a beautiful final chapter for my Komen 3-Day experiences.

And then last summer my sister found out she had breast cancer.  During her recovery, she said that she wanted to do another one.  And Molly said she would do it again.  And Karen B said she would do it again.  And Sharon said she would do it again, and brought along Bruce.  And now we're headed to Washington, D.C. this October to cover 60 more miles to raise funds for breast cancer research and support.

For each of the four events, I've sent out fundraising letters.  My friends and family have been generous in their donations and support.  I've even met new friends who were friends of friends and donated to the event.  But this year, my fifth walk, I'm not sending out a fundraising letter.  I guess I feel a little guilty asking for a fifth time.  I'm going to come up with ideas to raise money - maybe another book or washing cars, along with our team yard sale and bingo night.

If you're reading this and want to donate, here's the link.  Just click on it and donate whatever you wish.  If you would like for me to walk in honor or memory of someone, please let me know via email or comment - I would be so honored to do so.  If you want to be a part of our team and walk with us, we would love to have you join us. I just won't be bothering you this year with a donation letter.

I wish that these walks weren't necessary.  I wish that there was a cure for breast cancer and that this disease didn't rob families of time every single day.  I hope that one day pink ribbons will be just a past memory of a cured disease.  But until then, I will keep walking, because these "once in a lifetime" experiences will help fund research for that cure that will insure families have all the time they want to create memories. 

Everyone deserves a lifetime - thanks for your help to cure breast cancer in our lifetime.
*********************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  Lindley and Everley time; beautiful cold day

No comments: