Friday, March 8, 2013

It's A Small World After All ... In North Alabama

Today Steve and I headed off to Mississippi to spend the weekend with his dad.  As we were on our usual route through North Alabama, our conversation went like this:

Steve:  (pointing to a facility that used to be a motel)  "I had Andy (a guy in his office) look at that facility for our company.  The owner has two grandsons who play baseball for Samford and Mississippi State."

Me:  (as the neurons in my pea-brain started surging and connecting and remembering some posts I had read on facebook)  "Um, his last name wouldn't be Irby, would it?"


Steve:  "It might be - let me text Andy and ask him."

Me:  "Well, it might not be, but it would be a wild coincidence if there were two people from North Alabama who have sons who play at Samford and Mississippi State."

Steve:  "Well, the one at Mississippi State doesn't play there yet."

Me:  "I know - he just signed a few months ago."

Anyhow, Andy texted back, and sure enough, it was Irby, in fact Ken Irby's dad who owns the facility, and Ken Irby's sons who play baseball.  And who is Ken Irby?  Somebody I went to high school with back in the Dark Ages, who I probably haven't spoken to in a billion years, who I just happen to be fb friends with and have read his posts about his sons.

So, what was the chances of my going with Steve this weekend, him mentioning the facility and the owner's grandsons, my remembering some facebook posts, and the whole thing circling back to growing up in Starkville, Mississippi?  Pretty good, if you believe that God puts things in motion, sometimes just to delight us and help us realize that He is in control of this world.
 ******************************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  beautiful day for a drive; safe travel to GDizzle's; dinner with GDizzle, Steve, and Ann

3 comments:

Denise in PA said...

I totally agree, Luanne! And, a lot of times I marvel at what a small world it really is. o:)

Luanne said...

Yup - I'm waiting for that day when I'm at WDW or on DCL and I see this lady with a quilting machine by her side ...

Denise in PA said...

Believe me, if we are ever there at the same time, I will be Disney-stalking you - LOL!