Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Gallon #3

Today I donated another pint of blood, bringing my total to 3 gallons.  It's just literally a drop in the bucket compared to Albert, but it's a start.  And it's more than those who give no thought to blood donation and a wish for all those who would love to donate but can't because of various health reasons.

There are plenty of places to donate - I go to the Red Cross.  Sometimes I see the regular techs, and sometimes I get a newbie.  Sometimes my initial finger prick says my blood is a "go" and sometimes I get the other hand's finger pricked for a double check (which ends up being okay).  Sometimes I barely feel the needle go in, and sometimes I sense a heightened meaning of "a stick and a sting."  Sometimes I get a bruise of various sizes and sometimes I can barely see any evidence that a needle went in.  Sometimes I get a special prize for donating and sometimes I get the usual juice and pretzels.  But no matter what, I always leave with the sense that I did something good for the day.

According to various internet searches, a gallon of blood weighs around 8.5 pounds.  Which means I should weigh around 25 pounds less.  Hmmm...  Maybe too many post-donation pretzels??
********************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  giving blood and Tech Robin; visiting Everley at her house; dinner and movie with Maribeth

No comments: