Monday, September 3, 2007

Nashville:1 - Disneyland:0

After spending Sunday morning in bed, I decided that Monday's race was not going to happen. So, Steve and I decided to return to Nashville a day early. Still not feeling good, I decided to go ahead and attempt the trip home.

We changed our flights to a 5-ish flight from John Wayne Airport, with a stop in Las Vegas. I figured if I was dying, we could always spend the night there. We got to the airport, where I ate a few Cheerios. There were only 41 people on the first leg of the flight, so we managed to score a row with a seat between us. Upon arrival in Las Vegas, we found we were the only thru passengers, but the flight to Nashville would be full. I decided to try to sleep some more, and when I woke up, I found that Steve had managed to keep the seat between us empty. We were headed for home.

The flight to Nashville was as smooth as I've ever had (thank you, God), but I was still pretty miserable. I managed to take several naps, in every conceivable position, even going so far as to lay down in my seat and the empty one between us. Finally, with about an hour left in the flight, I raced to the bathroom to throw up. Remarkably, that must have finally expelled the bug in my system, because when I returned to my seat, I was cured!!

We arrived in Nashville, Molly and Scout picked us up, and within 20 minutes of being home, I was asleep in my own bed. Today I feel worn out, but good. I still have a bruise on my forehead from Saturday night when, in a position change maneuver when I was worshipping the porcelain throne, I banged the toilet seat onto my head.

Today's Labor Day, which is the last thing I am going to do. I am going to shower and begin to feel human again. I now realize that planning to do a half marathon after a 3-day walk was a ill-advised decision. Maybe when I was 49, but not at 50, at least for me. This week I am going to recover and get back on track - after all, I do have those races in October!!

No comments: