Saturday, September 29, 2007

On The Road Again

This past summer, one of my goals was to run two miles without stopping, and I achieved it. I didn't continue to jog the two miles in my training, since I was concentrating on training to walk 20 miles for three days in a row. Once I had finished the 60 mile weekend, it was time for surgery, so my two-mile accomplishment was put aside. WAY aside.

In the past week, I have begun to get back on track. I've walked a few miles here and there, and returned to Curves, albeit gently. But at least I have started. Getting back in physical shape is essential, as I have a 10K looming in a week.

Today I decided it was time to start jogging again. Naturally, I started with small goals - run to the first stop sign, then to the half-mile point, then to the mile point, etc. Once I had made it to the mile-and-a-half point, I knew I was going all the way... and I did!

This was such a victory on so many points. I haven't lost the two mile jog, in spite of all the events that took away from that training. The lack of a gallbladder hasn't impeded my jogging ability. I once again have the assurance that I can indeed, jog (so what if the ducks were waddling faster than my jog). I have the hope that I can continue to increase my distance, and eventually jog even more miles. I feel confident that next week's race is doable.

I'm back on the roads again. It feels good to be out in the air again, breathing in the sights, sounds, and smells of God's creation. I'm in a good place to start training again.

It's good to know that fresh starts can begin at any point in life. I ran my first race in 2000, not really knowing where it would take me. Seven years later, I still don't know where it will take me, but I am even more excited about the prospects.

I guess that's one of the good things about getting older - there's always something to look forward to, if you will just take the time to look.

No comments: