Friday, September 28, 2007

What Would You Do With $100,000?

Apparently some man in Florida found $100,000 in his attic. Now there's a big tiff as to whom the money belongs. But it made me wonder what I would do if I found a couple of bags of money in my attic.

I started making a list of what I would do. Most of the list consisted of giving the money to other people. Sure, there are things that I might use it on, but I realized that it would be more fun to give it away. What does this say about me?

It's easy to say I would give away the money because my car is paid for and my children are grown. It would be fun to recklessly spend the money on a bunch of stuff, but it would be more rewarding to give the money to people who would never expect it. There is always something out there that I want, but I already have everything I need, so why clog up my life with more stuff?

I guess this is why I haven't won the lottery yet (that, coupled with the fact that I rarely buy a ticket). I know what it's like to have no money, and what it's like to have a little left over. But I also know that the most valuable things I have really have nothing to do with money.

So, I guess I won't be searching my attic. I'll just concentrate on those things that make me rich - my family, my friends, and my faith. Money will come and money will go, but those three things will last forever.

No comments: