Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Setting My Own Pace

I've never been particularly good at pacing.

In a race, I try to maintain a certain per-mile time, but it doesn't always work out. Sometimes I finish strictly on fumes.

When I taught school, my pace was pretty much break-neck. There were always a million things to do in a limited amount of time. Sometimes I even took a day off just so I could catch up.

In general, my pace has always been goal-oriented. I would set a goal and do everything I could as quickly as possible to meet that goal. I was quite efficient, and achieved my goals, usually accompanied by a meltdown or two.

At my current stage in life, I am attempting a new pace. After a 60-mile walk and a weekend hospital stay, I quickly went to a zero pace. It is now time to rebuild.

Now, instead of setting goals and running after them, I am considering my "running" ability and then setting the goal.

Now, instead of setting a time limit and putting the goal inside the time limit, I am thinking about the goal, and deciding if a time limit should be a part of the overall goal.

Now, instead of doing everything I think I have a talent for, I am carefully considering which talents God would have me use now, and setting specific goals using those specific talents.

Now, instead of letting my tasks dictate my pace, I am setting the pace according to what my tasks deem is necessary.

It sounds like this pacing would be easy, but it's not. I still tend to think about the end result, and forget to consider the journey. I still tend to think about constant progress on a goal, rather than enjoying the process. I still tend to see my progress on goals as the only reflection of me, rather than letting me shine through what I do. I'm still working on this new way of pacing.

In two weeks, I will participate in my first race since my surgery. I'm not sure how I will do. I've just started small steps towards training. But the race is in a place that I love, Disney World, and it is only a 10K. I know I won't win, and I'm not sure if I'll even have a personal best. But I will be out on the road again, doing something I really like. I'll do the best I can for that day, and enjoy the scenery - which sounds like the best pace for me.

2 comments:

Kat said...

What a great message for all of us, definitely something I know I'm working on in my own life, so your blog really struck a chord. Also, I'm glad you're recovering well!

Luanne said...

Thanks Kat! I'm in awe of your Thing 8 - hang in there!