Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Blingedy-Bling Needed

These are my race medals. I finished probably another dozen 5Ks, a couple of 5-milers, a 10K, and a 10-miler that gave no medals. I display these in my office because I like looking at them, they remind me of a fun (most of the time) trip, and each represents an accomplishment. They also represent eight years of training and lack-of-training, miles and more miles, tears and laughs, and highs and lows. They don't represent a finish position (unless nearly last counts), but they represent a finish. Even though I didn't get an official finish time on two occasions, I finished the course and received my reward.

Here's the deal. Right now I am in the middle of my hardest race - the weight loss race. It's been sort of like my race training at times - I have good days and I have not-so-good days. But in a race, I always keep going because I know at the end, I will get my medal. It keeps me going, even in the middle of a training wog when I want to call home, or a race when I want to search for the nearest sweep van.

I have decided that I need a medal to represent completing this Weight Race. I need something to think of that's waiting for me when I cross the finish line and I've lost my 68 pounds. I've thought about a Disney trip or a special cruise, but that idea is not doing it for me because it's an experience, not a "thing." I need a thing.

So I'm asking for your input. Got any ideas? The only criteria I have is that it be a visible thing that I can display to remind myself of the journey I completed to get it. Sure, the intrinsic value of accomplishment, the better health from weight loss, blah, blah, blah, is important, but so is my "thing."

So whattadya think? I'll do all the work - I just need the bling to keep me going.

5 comments:

Kat said...

I'm hoping that Steve suggests some shiny diamond bling... maybe one for each ear? ;-)

I'll make you an embroidered medal, any size / color / shape you want... 'course it'll be from fabric and thread... I'm thinking go for diamonds first, keep the craft project as Plan B ;-)

Marilyn said...

How about some Grillz?
http://www.icedoutgear.com/grillz-gold-teeth.php
You could go ahead and get them now and they might help you lose the weight too.

Maribeth said...

Make your own bobble head.
A picture of your child with the longest name taken on the world cruise you two went on together.
Dinosaur egg.
Molly's tonsils in a jar.
Any of Molly's organs in a jar.

Marilyn said...

Princess Cut Grillz @ http://www.hustlagrillz.com

Anonymous said...

How about a tiara? Add a new jewel for every pound you loose!