Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Changing Course

Yesterday I got a routine race update for the Chicago Half Marathon, one that I have on my calendar for September. While reading it and the race's website, I noticed that they had a 13-minute per mile pace. I looked at last year's results and saw that there were several finishers with a greater pace than that, so I emailed the race officials and asked if the 13-minute pace would be enforced. Chad replied and said:

"Yes, the previous management group allowed participants to move to the sidewalks after the pace. However, we do not feel that it is safe for participants to be on the course with no support (medical, police, water, course marshals, etc). So yes, the 13 minute per mile pace will be enforced."

So, with my current lack of pacing progress and my lingering ankle issues, I had to decide my future with this half. Was I going to try really hard to meet this requirement or let it go? Was it time to push myself or continue to take it slow? I have decided that Chicago will be a "did not start." With the potential for August/September heat, it is certainly not the time to try to push a faster pace (for me, anyway). Although my ankle has improved, it is not miraculously healed. And let's face it - 51 is staring me in the face and shaking its head.

Am I disappointed? Yes, but also a little relieved. My monthly half-marathon plan for 2008 didn't quite work out, but I'm okay with it. There's always another plan out there waiting for me.

No comments: