Sunday, August 31, 2008

13.1 More Miles

I have another half marathon under my belt (as if I could wear one!). Today it was the Rock and Roll Virginia Beach. The day started at 72 degrees, humidity was 85%, and there was no breeze. In other words, it was hot and humid. I kept trying to think of a reason not to start, just to escape and return to the hotel, but didn't. I finished, albeit with a long time (the course was open for four hours, so I thought it prudent to use every minute). But I finished and received my medal (and a bottle of water, a bottle of Cytomax, and an icy towel). Upon finishing, I tried to do a victory jump, and promptly landed on my currently bad ankle. And I wonder why it isn't 100% yet? Believing I had the possibility of blisters, I also took off my shoes and socks, intending to walk barefoot the 10 blocks back to the hotel, but the sand made the soles of my feet unhappy, so I re-shoed, eventually made it to the hotel, showered, and headed for the airport.

I did not come to the aid of any fellow half-marathoners today. There were more walkers than I have ever experienced in a race, comparable only to the 3-day. It was nice to be in a group, and for once, have thousands still behind me. At some point, I decided that time was not an issue today, and just continued in hopes of finishing.

So what's the lesson for today? Maybe to keep going even though it seems like a goofy thing to do. Maybe to look at what you're doing and question why. Maybe to develop some commmon sense and use it. Maybe to set realistic expectations and meet them. Maybe to look at your birth certificate and come to grips with your body's age. Maybe to study physics and understand the effects that your weight, age, ability, training, and your physical surroundings have on it. Maybe to once again praise the creation known as the porta-potty.

Maybe, but for me, I think I'll just stick with the lesson of "I Can." I'll tell you more about that tomorrow - now it's time for a good night's sleep in my own bed!

No comments: