Monday, September 1, 2008

CAN

This weekend, I had the chance to meet Team Hoyt at the half-marathon expo. I first heard of this father-son team a few years ago on the Ironman telecast. I knew who they were, but as I was walking among the booths at the expo, I was surprised to look up and see them at their own booth. Dick and Rick were both there with copies of their DVDs and book. I asked Dick which DVD to get (they had three), and he selected "Can" which is set to one of my favorite songs, "I Can Only Imagine". I purchased the DVD and book which Dick autographed for Sam (and which I then spent all of Saturday reading it before I gave it to him).

On the race on Sunday, as my Corral 21 woggers were head down the out-and-back at Mile 2, I heard someone say, "Here comes Team Hoyt," and I looked on the other side and saw Dick and Rick at Mile 10, running back to the finish. I can't help it - every time I read about them or see them, they capture a piece of my heart.

I think it's because they are really ordinary people doing something they love, but it seems extraordinary to me. They are doing something they know they CAN, and whenever they encounter a challenge, they find a way to overcome it. Their message is CAN, and I hear it loud and clear.

I CAN do a half-marathon - I CAN do it faster - I just have to train for it.

I CAN lose weight - I just have to get serious about it.

I CAN do everything I was created to do - I just have to realize it and find a way to do it.

I CAN - I just have to keep believing it.

I CAN - and just when I think maybe I can't - God sends two men and a wheelchair to remind me.

No comments: