Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Lovely Afternoon Stroll

The weather in Nashville has been terrific. It's cooled off a bit, and a breeze wafts through every now and then. In other words, an excellent day for a walk.

Steve took his car in for routine maintenance this morning before heading for Detroit. I planned to pick it up when it was ready. The bright idea came to me - why not walk from my house to downtown and pick it up? After all, I pay money to walk for 13.1 miles for no apparent reason, so why not walk a few for a reason?

All in all, it went pretty well. The first part was on a busy two-lane street with no sidewalks. I'm sure I was called a few colorful names by the drivers I faced. But the next street provided safer sidewalks. I walked on streets that I only cover during Nashville's half marathon, and as I was walking through the Vandy campus, I came upon the scene of an 8-firetruck fire. After about 90 minutes, I was in Steve's car headed for home.

I enjoyed my walk. It was nice to get out and stroll, looking at the scenery that surrounded me. Usually when I wog, I have a training agenda (at least in theory). But today I just walked and enjoyed. It's something I need to do more often, because there's so much in this world to stop and enjoy.

Walking simply to breathe in the life around me. What an excellent idea!

No comments: