Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Day After

Okay, so when I got up this morning, my hair was sticking straight out in every direction. After a shampoo, it's not that different. After reading a few obviously poorly-thought-out requests for a picture, I threw any residual common sense out the window and made one. This is the best I could do. And yes, it is that naturally curly. Hope it solidifies any thoughts some of you had about getting your hair cut!

So, the question remains - am I glad I did it? I know it was what I needed to do. I have wanted to cut it all off for quite a while, not knowing (or denying) what the results might be. I truly believe that all the "circumstances" that went on yesterday were just what I needed in order to do this. So, the decision was correct.

Am I happy with the results? At certain points, yes. At other points, no. It will take some getting used to, some manipulation, some trial and error, and a lot of acceptance. But it is what it is, and it's mine.

But I guess that's like any change in life that we know we need to make. After the change has been made, we wonder if it was the right thing. We're not altogether comfortable with the change, and we question whether life was better before. We may not have the change we were hoping for, and instead have the change we got. We have a choice - bemoan the fact that we may still have some work to do, agonize over our decision and beat ourselves up, or just say yippee-ye-haw and embark on our new adventure.

As for me, I have a new do. It's different, it's controversial, and it's mine. Yippee-ye-haw!

2 comments:

Steve said...

I like it.

Anonymous said...

I think you and Allison did a good job! I love the color and the lenght and the curls! You'll stop being surprised/shocked when you look in the mirror, in a few days.

The last time I had my hair highlighted, I came home with 1 inch wide blonde stripes--not exactly what I was expecting... After a few days, I started liking it because it was a little out of character for me and I loved how some people were taken aback and didn't know what to say!