Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Wog in the Park

This morning Steve and I completed another 5K. This one was in Centennial Park in downtown Nashville. Although I've been around and in the park many times, this was my first race there, and it was great. The weather was cloudy and cool, the goodie bag was sweet, and I actually had a decent finish time (for me, anyway). It was a great way to start a morning.

There were probably only a few hundred people in today's race. Most were serious runners. I've always steered clear of small races, because I didn't want to be the last person who is trailed only by the ambulance. But today I stretched myself and wogged on. I wasn't last, and I realized it shouldn't matter if I were - I was doing my best and participating.

That's pretty much the way I live a lot of my life - staying out of those things that might make me stand out for what I think are the wrong reasons. I've just got to realize that it can't be wrong if I'm out there doing something - because I will never be able to experience the joys in life if I don't get out there and try.

No comments: