Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Friendly Blip

Today I was supposed to have lunch with my friend Dave. We've scheduled this for the past month, but have had to continually postpone due to prior commitments, travel, etc. Today I tried to arrange my day so I would be ready and at the restaurant at 12:30. However, things did not go as planned.

I had finished balancing the checkbook and paying bills. I was beginning to get ready when I heard the doorbell ring. Figuring it was the mailman with a package, I ignored it and continued cleaning up. When it rang again, I peeked around the corner, and saw Dave at my front door. Since my hair was sticking straight out and I still had on my "at least nobody will see me in this" morning bum-around clothes, I panicked. I ran to throw on something presentable, hoping for the best for the tangled mess on my head. Unfortunately, by the time I managed to reach the door, he was gone.

It was 11:45, so I figured he had some extra time and decided to come by. I had no idea where he went, and didn't have his phone number (don't ask me why - I thought I had it), so I tried to throw myself together and get to Rafferty's. I got there and waited until the hostess asked if I was Mrs. Davidson, and proceeded to tell me that Dave thought our lunch was at 11:30 and had an appointment at 12:30, so he wouldn't be able to meet me.

Of course, I was mad at myself because (a) I didn't pay attention to the detail when I penciled the lunch in, and (b) I didn't have a way to find out what happened. By the time I got home and composed an apology email, he had emailed me with the same. Eventually we will lunch - because we are eternal optimists.

Why do I tell you this story? Because I think it was a learning experience. I wanted to beat up on myself for messing up, but there was really no point. It was just a blip - nothing was permanently damaged. I probably should have followed up yesterday - which I will do from now on, since I do like to feed my anal-retentiveness. My day ended up just fine, with extra time to do some stuff I needed to do - I hope Dave's day turned out as well.

But I guess the main thing I learned is that a blip does not make a bad day, unless I allow it. This blip was just a funny story to tell and remember with a friend. After all, isn't that what friends are for?

No comments: