Monday, November 10, 2008

Maybe Not, But Then Again Maybe So

This upcoming weekend Steve and I were scheduled to do the San Antonio Half Marathon. After traveling last weekend and planning to drive to Florida for a family Thanksgiving next weekend, we decided to pull out. We just decided the monetary and physical costs of a quick weekend weren't worth it. We're getting old.

My goal for 2008 was to complete a half-marathon a month. I don't have one planned for December, so I will probably end the year with only eight. I also planned to improve my time with each half-marathon, but that certainly didn't happen.

Am I disappointed? Not really. I enjoyed the half-marathons I did complete, although I didn't achieve the times I would have liked. I skipped a few for various reasons, but that was okay, too. According to my calculator, I wogged over 100 miles in half- marathons alone, which I think is pretty good.

Sometimes in achieving a goal, you forget what you've achieved along the way. You tend to think that just because you didn't achieve THE goal, you achieved nothing. But you have to look at all the things you do in attempting the goal. Because sometimes the real achievement is not THE goal, but all those steps and efforts and accomplishments you made just to get where you are, wherever that may be.

So was completing 12 half marathons my goal? Wogging 100 miles? An eventual super-respectable time? Sure, they were all my goals at some point. But looking at the big picture, I am happy with where I am.

I did what I did, and I did good.

No comments: