Monday, November 24, 2008

No Big Deal - Really

Today while I was trying to find the small appliance aisle in Wal-Mart, I came head to head with another shopper. She was headed down one aisle and I was headed down the other at a ninety-degree angle. We met at the corner just before colliding, and stopped in our tracks. At first she glared at me with an "attitude." I smiled and said, "Sorry," and gestured for her to take the right-of-way. At first she didn't change expression - then she really looked at my face, smiled back, said "sorry" back, and went on her way.

Two people came to an impasse. One decided it wasn't a big deal and tried to make good of the situation. The other person looked at the first person's face, saw a human being, and concurred that the impasse wasn't a big deal. Somebody had to give and somebody had to take. But it wasn't until the two human beings actually connected on a deeper level was anything really accomplished.

No comments: