Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Bottle of Tylenol? Really?

Tomorrow I am going out of town. Yes, again. So tonight I decided to make a last minute run to the grocery to put a few needed supplies in the house (I don't know why - I'm leaving tomorrow). Anyhow, my selections included cupcakes, Cheetos, chocolate milk, blister band-aids, and Tylenol, among other things.

Once I had finished with my shopping, I headed for the checkout - the self-service one. I was pretty proud of myself for having brought my CPC shopping bag, so I was feeling pretty good. I stopped at first at the "under 15 items" check-out machines, but thought I would give those up for the regular self-checkouts. I was feeling very charitable to those who only had a few items, whereas I guesstimated that I probably had 15-ish.

Anyhoo, I checked out, bagged my stuff, and headed for the door. Imagine my surprise when the security buzzers went out as I paraded past them. The Kroger SWAT team and the shopping cart lady rushed over to my cart (the local news team was probably en route as well). I was asked if I had purchased a DVD or cell phone (yep - when I need a new DVD or cell phone, I always think of Kroger first). I replied that I hadn't.

I was then questioned about any medicines that I had purchased. I dug through my bag and produced the bottle of Tylenol, and sure enough, that was the culprit. I was informed that all the medicines have an extra UPC code sticker on them. Tyeshia, the head self-checkout cashier, also informed me that when I scanned it in, a message should have appeared on the screen telling me to remove the tag (yeah, like I read the messages on the screen). Shopping Cart Lady removed the tag, and I managed to make it to my car without be tasered.

I guess I just didn't realize the value of Tylenol, although I did purchase the rapid-releasers. Wonder what would have happened if I had bought a bottle of Maalox!!

___________________________________________________________________

Gifts that made today special: Women's Room Group meeting; getting stuff done; Shirley at the cleaners

No comments: