Monday, September 14, 2009

Life and Death

This evening, Steve and I watched Disney's "Planet Earth" on DVD. The photography was beautiful, and there was much to like. However, there were also the predator scenes where we had to watch the "circle of life" as one animal hunted down another in order to sustain life. I get it - I just don't like to watch it. There was no blood and guts involved, but it didn't make the whole thing any more palatable for me. I understand it's the way nature is - it still makes me sad.

I read on the news that Patrick Swayze died today. He entertained us with his talents, and inspired us with his fight against the cancer that would eventually take his life. In recent months, it was obvious that he wasn't doing well, and I guess the world knew this day would come. But it's still sad that he's left this world.

My junior high band director died today. Mrs. Mac was a woman who was like none other in my little Southern hometown. She knew what she wanted and pursued her own path, encouraging me to do the same. She's been very ill for several months, and today her body finally just gave up the fight. Even though I haven't seen her for many, many years, today I feel a profound loss for a woman who inspired me so much. And while I know she's at peace and rest, I still wish she were here to enjoy her family a little longer.

I don't like death. Many times it's so unexplainable and seemingly unnecessary. Sometimes it's a welcome relief for a painful illness, but still bittersweet. Sometimes it's a part of this life and just happens. But it still is painful to me to witness, no matter how I come across it. I guess I have to realize that death is only a small part of this life, and it's the life lived that matters in the end. It's the life that enriches and encourages our own, it's the life that we recognize will create a void in our own, and it's the life that we realize we valued - almost too late.

Maybe that's part of the lesson that death teaches us - to see all the life around us and practice a little more love and appreciation on those lives. I believe that God has another life out there for us - but He wants us to see the gift of life that we have here.

Tonight I'm thankful for all the lives that surround me - especially yours, if you're reading this. I'm thankful for your love and support and friendship. I'm thankful for you and your life. And I'm thankful that I didn't wait for death to remind me of how blessed and thankful I am.
_______________________________________________________________________
Gifts that make today special: Edythe's McArthur's impact on my life; watching Disney's Earth (well, most of it)

No comments: