Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Massage-aha

This weekend as I was still reeling from my latest massage, I decided to reevaluate my massage goals. I've had a couple of massages in the past where the masseuse's goal was to correct my muscles (or work out some stress on the masseuse's part). During a massage on a cruise ship, I believe that the German masseuse was still working out issues from World War II, as evidenced by his intense pressure and the resulting pain on my part. Yes, I know at any point I could politely say, "GET YOUR $$#^% ELBOW OUT OF THAT MUSCLE," but I figured that in the words of my father, "it had to get worse before it would get better."

Then came my "aha" moment. Was I going to "Massage Therapy" where I was trying to work out some issue with my shoulder that could only be rectified by grief and agony? Was I going to "Massage Masochist" where pain equaled ecstasy? Was I going to "Massage Stress-Out" where I left more tense than when I came? No - I was going to "Massage Envy" where I was supposed to leave serene and calm.

So, I decided to start over. Next month I am going back to the masseuse ladies whose idea of firm pressure is soothing and relaxing. Sure, they may not get all the knots out as expediently as those with a vice-grip pressure, but I know I will feel better when I'm finished.

Stuff doesn't always have to hurt to feel better. Sometimes just feeling better is enough.
___________________________________________________________________
Things that make today special: Women's Room ladies; slarty with M&M and matching pjs; boiled peanuts; final furniture moving

No comments: