Saturday, September 12, 2009

September's 100 Things

It's taken awhile, but with a little help, today was the day for this month's 100 Things. My goal was to rid my attic of 100 things - if I could first unload the ENTIRE attic to get to the 100 things. Being summer, it's not the best time to scrounge around in an attic with no insulation. The roof dudes left quite a bit of roof giblets when installing the ridge vent, so in other words, it was a mess. Heat plus mess equals I Don't Want To Do It.

But, inspiration came in the guise of Molly's friend Michaela, who was up for a challenge, especially since yesterday I roped her into cutting down a tree in Molly's front yard. Michaela came over, I shoved her into the attic like the a witch throwing Gretel into the oven, and she commenced to pulling containers and boxes out of the great abyss.

What a disaster. Junk in the attic is nothing - until you pull it out and start going through it. It's mostly a bunch of stuff being saved - for no really good reason. Here are a few of the "treasures" that I uncovered:

There are toys that my children played with - so why am I keeping them? Yes, I will be having a granddaughter in a few months. But I hope I can afford a few new things for her to play with. Besides, all the stuff my children played with when they were little are probably now outlawed by the Toy Police as being dangerous.

There's the cake topper that was on my wedding cake. I think I hoped that varmints would chew it up because of the cake giblets that were left. Cake topper is intact - but now it's brown. I don't think anyone will be interested in using that!!

A few baby clothes - again, I think I can afford a few new togs. New ones without the stains on them. Maybe I'll just force them on Lynnette and let her get rid of them!!

Halloween and Easter decorations. I don't decorate for either, so out they go.

Six billion frames with no pictures in them. Out they go. My new plan is to get the picture FIRST, then go buy the frame. This "I'll hold on to the frame, maybe I'll need it for a picture" isn't working so well.

Containers of every size and shape. What can I say - I like to be organized - even for stuff that I don't physically possess. I believe that if I possess fewer things, then I don't need the containers to organize them. I'm smart like that.

American Girl dolls and accessories. Maybe it's time to return custody to their mothers.

So, in the next few days I will put the remaining treasures back into the attic. I'll still keep my wedding dress (that I keep an a shoebox) and the Christmas decorations (the one holiday I do decorate). After all, something's got to go in the attic!!
____________________________________________________________________

Gifts that make today special: Attic clean out; dinner delivery by Steve; napping

1 comment:

emily g said...

I somehow missed the news that "the baby" is a girl!

Proud of you for disposing of another 100 things!