Saturday, November 14, 2009

Helping

When I am at Disney World, I really have to control my impulse to "help" people. When I overhear conversations on the bus about where a family is trying to go, I really want to give them some advice. Sometimes it's hard to squelch.

Today I didn't have to. After my shift at the golf tournament, I was waiting at the MK bus stop for my resort bus. A lady and her daughter asked me if I worked there (maybe I looked like a bus driver?). I replied that I didn't, but maybe I could answer her question. She asked, and I sent her on her way to customer service.

My bus came and waited for me while I answered the next family who asked me about where to get on the boat for Fort Wilderness.

I boarded my bus and three adults boarded after me. They were asking the bus driver about how to get to Downtown Disney. He gave them several options and off we all went. During the bus ride, they asked me and I gave them more options. During a lull in my advice-giving lecture, one of the ladies asked me, "Does Disney have an extra person on all the buses to help people?" I couldn't help but smile as I told her my true circumstances for being on the bus.

So I guess there are always people who need help. Some who ask and some who don't. I'm not sure how to tell the difference, or how to be helpful and not a buttinsky.

But I think it helps if you wear some sort of "uniform" and credential - even if it's for a golf tournament!
__________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Chatting with the other golf tourney volunteers; seeing Steve on the golf course; chatting with golf tourney attendees; beautiful weather; surprises from Steve

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

A new Diz job for you! The extra person on the bus!