Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Bring in the Cavalry

Today while I was cleaning my bedroom, I watched one of my favorite movies, "The Legend of the Lone Ranger." It was made in 1981 and the only awards it won were Razzies. Okay, I admit that it's not one of the technically or artistically created movies ever, but I love it anyway.

I love it because there's the good guy fighting the bad guy and winning. I love it because several times during the movie, the "Lone Ranger" theme is played as the Lone Ranger and Tonto race to save somebody. I love it because Tonto remains a friend through the years to the Lone Ranger. I love it because Silver is such a smart horsie.

But my favorite part is near the end, when the Lone Ranger, Tonto, and President Grant are planning to blow up the fortress of Bad Guy Cavendish. They plant dynamite all around the compound, and we watch as the buildings blow up one by one. Just when we think it may not work out, we watch as the seemingly impenetrable fortress wall blows up. We believe that maybe the trio will barely escape, when we hear a bugle and see Silver and Scout racing in, followed by Wild Bill Hickock, Buffalo Bill, General Custer, and the United States Calvary!

Why do I love this part so much? I like to think that when things are at their worst, there will be heroes and a cavalry to come in to rescue and help me. I want to believe that at some point, there's an army whose main goal is to race at top speed to find me in my distress. I hope that sometimes I will be the one leading the team in to rescue someone else. I want to believe that I can be a part of defeating the bad guys that would threaten to harm those I care about.

So maybe it's just a cheesy movie, but I love it. I love it because it inspires me. It helps me realize that we're all in this together - sometimes we need the cavalry, and sometimes we need to be the cavalry.

And maybe all we need to do is to listen and we'll hear our own theme song to get us going!
__________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Getting back to boot camp and finally being on the winning plank relay team; lunch with the Ms; watching "The Biggest Loser" with Maribeth, Steve, and Marilyn; getting rid of three bags of clothes and stuff and taking it to Goodwill

No comments: