Friday, January 28, 2011

Even Free Gets Old

Back in the day, Steve's job required him to travel every week. When he stayed in hotels, he stocked up on all the soap and shampoo that the hotel furnished. We had boxes of the stuff. We were a one-income family with three young children, so anything free we sucked up with vigor. While it was a good habit back then, now it's become a rather irritating habit.

It's irritating because I have this underlying idea that if it's free I must take it and use it. In the past, I have put bottles of shampoo/bars of little soap/mending kits/shower hats, and who knows what else in my suitcase, so housekeeping will replenish and I'll have more stuff. I ate the chocolates every night and stockpiled the coffee. After all, I paid for it, didn't I?

So now that the kids are theoretically grown and out of the house, I don't need all that stuff. Herein lies the struggle. It's free, so I must take it. But I don't really want it or need it. But it's free. But I don't even like the brand. But it's free. I can take it and donate it to somebody who does need it. But I hate the hassle of doing all that. But it's free.

Last night we got chocolates. I ate both of them, even though I didn't really want them. They were free and needed to be eaten so we'll get more tonight. Even though I could do without them.

So I'm taking radical action. I've decided that even if housekeeping brings in the entire cart and dumps it in the middle of the room and says, "Take it all," I'm not. I'm using what I need for this stay and leaving the rest. For now, somebody else will have to supply the homeless with soap and shampoo. I need to simplify and I'm starting small. Sometimes small and free gets to be too big and burdensome. Sometimes free comes with a price tag, and I've decided to stop payment.
______________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: Breakfast in the lounge; sitting on the beach with Steve; lunch at Jerry's Deli; race expo; dinner at the crepe place

3 comments:

Denise in PA said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels the same! I'm also trying to get over taking it all because it's free (however, at Disney World I will still take everything they put out - LOL!)

Marilyn said...

I will miss the shoebox full of soaps and shampoos at Christmas :(

Luanne said...

I almost put down Disney as an "exemption" to this rule - I've even been known to find an abandoned housekeeping cart on those trips!!