Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday's Ruminations

Just random stuff from today:

*Managed to finish the 5K in a decent time - for me, anyway. Before the race, a saxophonist played the national anthem - a first for any race I've wogged.

* Passed somebody getting CPR'd just before Mile 3 - hoping he/she was okay - made me think that I should renew my CPR certification - just in case.

*Learned a new way to fix chocolate milk. After the race (and 16 blocks later), Steve and I went to Jerry's Deli for breakfast. I ordered chocolate milk, because all us athletes know that chocolate milk is the go-to drink for your muscles after they get a work out. Anyhoo, the dude said yes, they had chocolate milk. He brought it to me, and I think I've figured out the recipe: first you get the glass into which you plan to serve the chocolate milk. Next you coat the entire inside of said glass with Hershey's syrup. Third, you pour white milk into the glass. Lastly, serve the drink to the recipient, whose eyes are bugging out because she's never seen chocolate milk like that.

*Sat on the beach for a few hours - under an umbrella, sort of. My legs were out so I wouldn't freeze under the umbrella, and my upper body was in my jacket under the umbrella so my already sunburned face wouldn't get cooked again. Not exactly a postcard beach scene.

*While on the beach and under the umbrella, I got caught up on my magazine reading. In one magazine, six (yes, six) pages were devoted to choosing the right lipstick between red and pink. And to think I mainly choose based on price.

*Another stellar article told me how the last diet recommendation was pure hogwash - eating fruit and veggies was no way to lose weight. In fact, in this diet, you didn't have to exercise. All you have to do is basically get a side of beef and eat on it all day. But that's okay, because I'm sure the next article I read will tell me how that diet is bad, too. Perhaps this is why I cannot lose weight - I keep eating bad food, which is basically everything, based on which diet you read.

*Got in the shower to wash off race sweat/beach sand, only to realize I did not have my reading glasses and could not read the labels on the cleaning supplies in the shower. Basically I had hair conditioner, which I could figure out. However, the body wash and the shampoo looked basically the same. Didn't know which to wash what with. So, I used both on my hair and my body. At least they're both clean.

*Also forgot to put my old lady face cleaner in the shower, so I used body wash/shampoo to wash my face. Somehow managed to inhale suds into my nose and sinus passages, causing a heckuva burn. Strengthened my resolve to NEVER use a netty pot.

*Had a great burger at Burgers and Beer - it had (among other things), a fried egg on top. Delicious.

Now I am in my pj's, watching TV on the big ole TV in my fancy schmancy hotel room. Tomorrow I hope to sleep in, while Steve is running the half marathon. Maybe I'll even get a new magazine.
______________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: finishing the 5K, and all things associated with the 5K; breakfast at Jerry's Deli; sitting on the beach and Clarence the chair dude; fruit creation from Maribeth; Burgers and Beef with Steve for dinner

No comments: