Friday, May 16, 2014

Westward Ho!!

So it's time for my extended vacay.  I know, I seem to vacay a lot.   But it's all in the name of family.  Really.  I would stay at home and clean house and bake bread and knit if I didn't have to accompany my by-blood and by-marriage relations to various places.  Mostly to keep them out of trouble.  This time it's with Molly.  Who is going to run with nekkid people on Sunday.  Of course I have to accompany her there, too.  Only we're not going to run nekkid.  For realz.

Molly picked me up and headed to the airport.  She drove because she's leaving her car for her return at midnight on Sunday (and decided not to call in favors for somebody to pick her up - she's saves her favors for the really big stuff).  We get to the airport and find the line for security way longer than anything we've ever seen at BNA.  Of course, since I paid big bucks for TSA Pre, I sail right through.  Meanwhile, A-List Molly, while she doesn't have to get at the end of this line, finds her special line gets her through quicker, sort of.  Eventually she gets through and joins me at Gate 16, where I've already had breakfast.

Even though I checked in two minutes after I was legally able to, I still got a B boarding pass (in Southwest terms).  Since I really wanted a window seat (and the ability to carry on my luggage - yes, I packed for 14 days in a carry-on), I decided to see if I could upgrade at the desk.  Which I could for $40 - totally worth it for a four hour window seat.  And soon we're on our way.

 Of course, I am not a super fan of flying.  And after about two hours, it seems this flight will never end.  I look out the window, read magazines, attempt to get on the internet, attempt to nap, and eat my pretzels and peanuts.  My middle-seat mate (not Molly, who is A List and gets a window seat, in this case it was behind me), wasn't too much into conversation except for her travelling companion who was sitting next to Molly (sure, we could have done a seat switcheroo, but we didn't).  Eventually, we arrived at our destination - LAX - which wasn't our final destination, but since there are no longer any nonstop flights to San Francisco from Nashville, this was the best we could do. 

We snacked in the airport and waited for our next quick flight to San Fran.  We sat on the left side of the plane, as Steve suggested, again with window seats (I got an A boarding pass this time), again one behind the other.  This flight is only an hour, so even I could manage it.  This time my middle-seatmate was exhausted and slept the whole time, and I managed to complete two Sudoku's in flight.  And soon we were in San Francisco, where we managed to board the Bart and get to our hotel with only a few hiccups - it didn't help that there is massive street work going on around the hotel, so it was a puzzle to find the front of the building.

Anyhow, we checked into our room on the 12th floor, with a pretty nice view.  We ventured out to eat, since we were hungry, and ended up at Super Duper Burgers, even though we probably would have been content to eat at Merely Okay Burgers.  But our food was good, we made it back to the hotel, and pretty much called it a night.  We do live an exciting life ...

Until tomorrow ...

****************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  TSA Pre quick line; upgrading to A; safe, smooth flight; sights from the air along the way; Starbucks cup and treats at LAX; riding the Bart and finding our hotel with Molly; Super Duper Burgers; sleep!!

No comments: