Saturday, May 10, 2014

What A Difference A Day Makes

Since today is Mother's Day Eve, I thought I would offer up a few thoughts about the difference a day makes ...

The day before I became a mother, I thought I knew everything about motherhood because I had read all the right books.  The day I became a mother, I realized I knew absolutely nothing.

The day before I became a mother, I thought I knew exactly how my child would behave, and not behave, because I had superb ideas about mothering.  The day I became a mother, I realized my child had a mind of his own and there was a pretty good chance the ideas in my brain were necessarily the ones in his.

The day before I became a mother, I thought I knew exactly what labor and delivery were going to be like, and there was going to be absolutely no pain in any of it because I had taken the Lamaze classes.  The day I became a mother, I decided Lamaze was a hoax created by sadistic men because I had no idea pains like my labor pains existed.  I also had no idea how quick-lived those pains were, since I went on to have two more children...

The day before I became a mother, I envisioned leaving my child with the grandparents or the babysitter for a hour or so while I went on my merry way to have adventures, go shopping, or whatever.  The day after I became a mother, I was ready to pounce on the nurse (or anybody) who tried to pry my baby out of my arms.

The day before I became a mother, I thought life was pretty much all about me.  The day after I became a mother, life became pretty much not at all about me.

The day before I became a mother, I knew I would be the best mother ever.  The day after I became a mother, I hoped I would not be the worst mother ever.

The day before I became a mother, I was pretty sure I would love my child.  The day after I became a mother, I had no idea something so small could become part of my heart and could be loved so much.

The day before I became a mother, I thought I had a happy life.  The day after I became a mother, I had no idea life could be so happy.

In one day, everything I knew about life changed.  And I am so blessed to have experienced it!
********************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  shopping and lunching with Molly