Sunday, June 14, 2015

Thanks. Again. And Again.

Usually it's easy to be thankful for things - when they are current or very recent. But what about being thankful for the things that we have received, sometimes a while ago? Shouldn't we be just as thankful, even if it's been some time since we've been blessed?

Here's what brought me to this thought - the cough I had this winter into spring. The other day I was just thinking how great it is not to be coughing all the time. Back then, I would be happy to get through the night cough-less, and through the day if I could get through an hour without coughing. And now, I don't cough - at all. I realized I was taking this cough-less existence a little for granted. And so I thanked God, for His guidance through the minute-clinic-experience and for His healing. Sure, it's been awhile, but maybe I'm even more thankful today than I was back then. So why not give a prayer of thanks to where it is due?

Maybe I should be thinking of this more often. Maybe I should be thanking people for the gifts and blessings and courtesies that may have happened in the past. Maybe I should thank them because I'm still enjoying their kindness, and they should experience the joy in knowing that the blessing they did for me back then continues to this day.

I guess what I'm saying is that gratitude has no expiration date. It also has no limit on the number of times it can be expressed. The first one should be timely and is important. But so is every single one that we utter after.
*********************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: Steve's safe travel home; brunch with the Udderly Pink Double Nickels and their brother husband and their caretaker; Container Store with KB and Molly

No comments: