Friday, November 16, 2007

Clean Sheets

Today I changed the sheets on my bed. I don't do this as often as I should or would prefer. I like sheets with a high thread count (that I can afford) or the newest sheet-fad out there (that is affordable). I like my sheets to smell good and feel soft. When I wash my sheets, I wish I could hang them outside to dry, but I have no clothesline. But I do like fresh clean sheets on my bed.

When I was growing up, my mother put clean sheets on our beds regularly. She ironed the pillowcases, which was my introduction to ironing (a habit that has yet to be ingrained in me). Whenever we were sick, my mother would always put clean sheets on our beds. As a result, my sister and I both wholeheartedly believe in the medicinal value of clean sheets.

I like clean sheets because they feel good, especially when you first put your legs down in them. The sheets are still crisp and unwrinkled (technically). I also like clean sheets because they represent a fresh start - they haven't been rumpled around by various family members and pets. But the best thing about clean sheets is that they signify that somebody cares. Somebody thought you deserved to sleep in something comfortable and clean, and that person took the time to do that just for you.

Clean sheets - who'd have thought that just a couple of pieces of material could mean so much.

2 comments:

Steve said...

thanks for the clean sheets

Marilyn said...

Clean sheets are the best- every Sat. at my house- and I do have a clothes line- just for sheets.