Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Going Green - Tiny Steps at a Time

I finally decided to take Sam up on his ideas. I had some shopping errands to do, so I loaded up my Bahamas Starbucks container and my Cool People Care bag and headed for the mall.

I was on a mission for new pjs and Shrek 3. My first stop was Old Navy. I grabbed my bag, put my billfold, keys, and phone in it, and shopped. I found some acceptable merchandise and headed for the checkout. As the clerk began ringing up my selections, I asked her if she would put the things in my bag. She said, "Sure. The other day I saw a place where you could select paper, plastic, or neither." I made some inane comment, we finished our transaction, and I headed out the door. Score one for the environment!

Next I went to Target for the movie. I dumped out the Old Navy purchases (shopping multiple places takes some coordination - or more bags) on the seat, repacked my bag with my stuff AND my Starbucks mug, and went in. I selected my things, and repeated my request with the Target checkout guy. He seemed a little confused, and was a little awkward in trying to stuff my new pjs (second set - explanation maybe later) into the bag, because they had a couple of hangars on them. I helped him out, and was soon headed towards the store's Starbucks.

Here's where it got a little tricky. I ordered my usual Peppermint Mocha Frap Light, and requested that Ms. Starbucks pour it into my cup. She looked a little bewildered, but said okay. After mixing my drink, she commented that she didn't know if it would fit into the container. She poured it in (and I think had a little left over that she poured down the sink) and handed it to me. Scores two and three for the environment!

I am going to follow Molly's example and keep my shopping bags in my car. I am also keeping my Starbucks cups in the car, so they will be handy when I need them. The hardest part today was asking the clerks to do something different. I don't care to make waves, so I felt a little uncomfortable. But the results were rewarding, so I felt the discomfort less and less as the afternoon wore on.

It may not have been much, but it's a start. Nothing will ever happen or change if you don't start somewhere.