Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Old Fogey

While on vacation this week, I was shopping in an outdoor mall. I had just purchased my usual mocha frap light, and had entered an undies/pajama store. I was perusing the flannel pajama bottoms when the clerk (who was my age or older) asked me to put my drink on the counter. I politely refused and left the store (vowing never to return) where I groused to my husband that, "I am 50 and perfectly capable of holding on to my drink."

I realize the clerk has the responsibility of protecting her merchandise, but there were no signs indicating any store rules. Did my drink and I really pose a threat? Should I have explained that I felt insulted, and if she didn't want my drink, then she didn't want my money? Was it really a big deal after all?

Herein lies my dilemma - do I stand up for what I consider my rights, or acquiesce to the whims of those around me? As I get older, I am inching toward getting bolder and standing up for myself. I just don't want to become the ornery old geezer that everybody avoids.

In this incident, nobody won. The clerk lost a sale and I lost out on new pj bottoms. But the real loss for me was the chance to connect with another human being in a pleasant way. I could have handled it better and made a positive difference in someone's day. I hope I will think beyond myself next time - I guess even old fogeys can learn something new every day.

2 comments:

Sam Davidson said...

You were right in leaving. People everywhere need to understand that some rules make no sense and that exceptions can be made. Sure, maybe someone has spilled a drink on some nice PJs, but it doesn't happen more than it actually does, and a grown woman is able to both drink and browse. Never go to that store again.

lynnette said...

you politely declined, and she lost a sale. sounds perfectly fine to me.