Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Sweet Caroline

Caroline Kennedy has done it again. She one-upped me, this time with Neil Diamond.

Caroline and I were both born in 1957, with me being a few months older. I first became intrigued with her because of the Good Housekeeping cover in 1969. My mother's friend commented that she thought Caroline and I looked alike (meaning we both had long blond hair and blue eyes). I read the accompanying article and found out that we were the same age. But the most fascinating thing to me was that her mother spent $200 on a robe and gown. In 1969, for a country girl whose mother made all her clothes, this was a fortune - and on pajamas?! Needless, to say, I have tried to keep track of Caroline ever since.

She married later than I did, and we each had three children - two girls and a boy. I can accept that she's had several books published and is tiny and lives in New York, all things that I wouldn't mind claiming.

But, for Caroline's 40th birthday party, Julie Andrews sang to her. Now, the week before Caroline's 50th, Neil Diamond announces that a perennial favorite, "Sweet Caroline", was written with her in mind. I shudder to think what will happen on her 60th - will Disney World build a hotel called "The Caroline?"

I wish Caroline all the best. She has had enough heartbreaking tragedy in her life. She certainly deserves some good things, but why Neil and Julie? Why not famous people I don't like?

I guess Caroline and I are more alike that I thought. After all, Julie attended her birthday party; I saw Julie in person at last year's Thanksgiving parade. Neil wrote a song for her; I heard him sing it in concert.

Happy Birthday on November 27th, Caroline. I wish you all the best. And when you get your WDW hotel, just be sure to give me a good deal - after all, we are two peas in a pod!

No comments: