Thursday, November 29, 2007

Lessons Learned

The past two posts have been about doing what you need to do despite the imagined toil and effort it might take. Today was one of those days that God demonstrates why these lessons are so important.

I hadn't walked since Monday, so I knew I needed to get out today. I wasn't exactly thrilled, because I was a little tired and achy. But I have a marathon to tackle, so there was no legitimate reason not to get out.

I had great plans of walking 12 or maybe even 15 miles, but after two miles, I was already altering my plans. I just didn't feel "into" it. I planned to turn around at mile 3 and head back, but as I approached mile 3, I felt the impetus to keep going to mile 4. Why? I believe it was God saying, "Keep going - today is an 8-mile day. Not 10, or 12, or 15. Just 8." So I kept going and got my 8 in.

The remarkable thing about this story is not that I got another 8 in, or that I did what I needed to do in order to finish my next marathon. The remarkable things are the gifts that I received in addition to my main objective for this one walk. I believe God gave these gifts to me to demonstrate the joys I can receive when I do what I need to do.

The best gift was realization that I wasn't even thinking about the the next mile. Usually I am just hanging on until the next mile is complete so I can dread completing the next mile. But today, I would look up and be totally surprised at where I was, which was always further down the road than I realized. It was a confirmation that God was with me as my wogging partner today.

Another gift was seeing the Cool People Care car. I had heard about it, but seeing it pass me on the road was really neat.

I found a nickel - usually I just find pennies. It just sort of signalled a good day.

My neighbor who lives behind me stopped to see if I needed a ride. It was a lesson on "what goes around comes around," since a few weeks ago I got in my car to look for my side neighbor who was strolling her baby in a sudden rain. It reaffirmed my faith that there are good people out there.

So what does all this mean? For me, it just confirms the assurance that unexpected remarkable things can happen when you're busy doing what you need to do. Maybe that assurance will spur me on the next time I get sluggish, or create a excited anticipation about what God has in store next for me, or encourage me to focus on the little things that are remarkable, whether it is a nickle or a sticker-coated car.


The world is full of good things - we just have to notice them.

No comments: