Monday, October 27, 2008

13K and 3 Siblings

Last Saturday while I was at Disney World, I completed the Tower of Terror 13K. This is an 8-mile race that begins at 10 pm and winds around Hollywood Studios and adjacent roads. At my pace this takes me two hours, which meant finishing around midnight, which is WAY after my bedtime.

Earlier that afternoon, my sister Marilyn and I watched my brother John scuba dive at The Seas. I had to leave during his debriefing, but they said that they would be there when I finished the race. Although I assured them they didn't have to, they insisted they would be there.

Later that night as I rounded the curve at Mile 6.5, there they were, sitting on the bench we had agreed on earlier. Twenty minutes later at midnight, they were waiting with my cheeseburger and fries to celebrate my finish.

It meant a lot to have them there, but the best thing is to have them, period. Our parents are no longer alive and each of us live in different states, so our time together is rare. This weekend we took time away from our families just to spend a few days together. We laughed and ate and remembered. And in the end, we proved what we've known all along - we'll be there for each other always - even at midnight with a burger and fries.

No comments: