Friday, October 17, 2008

Being a Blessing

Sometimes I feel like the odd man out. The shoes that I am wearing went out of style two years ago. I am mis-dressed for the occasion. I make a funny, but nobody gets the joke. I ask a question that is so obtuse, I might as well be speaking Martian. I'm paddling against the stream, and I know it.

It's at these times that I feel I have to justify my existence, mostly to myself. I have to convince myself that I am just as important, just as special, and just as deserving as anybody else. And frankly, sometimes it's a pretty darn hard thing to do.

This week as I was pondering this thought, God sent a new one to take its place. He said, "I created you just as you are. Whenever you are with another person, it's for a reason, and that reason is to be, and to receive, a blessing. You are a blessing. That's all. You need no other reason or justification for being who you are."

As I thought about this concept, everything began to make sense. I don't have to be the smartest, or the thinnest, or the prettiest, or the fastest. I just have to be me. Every person with whom I come into contact affects my life as I affect that person's. Maybe the effect will be for the better or maybe not - but the touching of one life with another will change each person, even if for just a moment.

I no longer have to wonder if I will be the "right" person for the occasion - I just have to be the right person I was created to be. I will learn from those situations where I may be different and those where someone else may be different. And in the end, I will learn what this life is really all about - blessings just waiting to bump into each other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me remind you of some of the times you have been a blessing to me. You make the best chicken and broccoli casserole I've ever had. When I was pregnant with Jacob,and was put on bed rest, you brought over a small tv so I would have some entertainment. You explained to me about having a quiet time. Remember when we got together in Atlanta? We laughed so hard and stayed up late.You sent Christmas cards with pictures of you kids so I could see how they had grown. Last year,you were so supportive--a package would be delivered at just the right time. I visit your blog regularly and I'm blessed by your thoughts and actions. No doubt, you are a blessing!

Luanne said...

What an amazing thing to say - in a word, a blessing! Your memory is amazing, too! This proves my point about blessings bumping into each other. The best part of bumping into you (and back) is knowing how much you bless others, as evidenced by all the wonderful comments I received about you last year and your help with the 3-Day. Your generosity and kindness of heart are the blessings that we all are graced with bumping in to!