Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Race Scrappys

Today I updated my race scrapbooks. I had three new races to include, and the Disney ones always take extra pages, so it took me a while. Now, I'm not a real "scrap booker." By that I mean I don't carefully place the photographs artistically on the page with adorable stickers and quips. Basically I try to stick as many pictures as I can on a page, along with other bits of memorabilia, resulting in a true hodge-podge-collage.

I started this a few years ago. I had saved stuff from my first races and as a birthday gift, Sam arranged all the bits and pieces into my first scrapbook (a noticeable difference occurred once I took over). This year I started my fourth scrapbook.

I love my scrappys because each race has memories that are precious to me. Some involved other family members, some involved a family vacation, and some were solo efforts. But when I look over the pictures, race bibs, certificates, and other little giblets of this and that, I am reminded of a particular event and who was (or wasn't) there. I am reminded of finished races, strangers I met, and cities I visited. I am reminded of things I did and how those things changed me. While each race may not have been my greatest, each race holds memories I want to always remember.

So while my scrapbooks may not win any scrap booking awards, they are doing what I need them to do - to keep those memories so I can remember when. Sometimes it's not how you do it, but that you do it, that matters most.

No comments: