Monday, October 20, 2008

Because I Can

Recently I blogged about Ribbon Wogging. My sister Marilyn read the post and called to ask if I wanted to do a 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk with her in 2009. I've done two of these - in Atlanta in 2001 and the Twin Cities in 2007. It's funny, because during the week before Marilyn called, I kept thinking that I wanted to do another one. The rest of the story is that she called, I pondered, and today I signed up.

I'll be doing the San Diego Breast Cancer 3-Day during November 20-22, 2009. When Lynnette and I were on the trail in Minneapolis/St. Paul, a fellow walker told us how beautiful the walk in San Diego was. So, it seemed that this would be the one for me (it's also the last one scheduled for 2009). So I'm in.

I've started a team called "Because We Can." The name comes from the fact that I can walk to raise money for breast cancer. I can do my part to raise funds and awareness for this disease that affects so many lives. I can do my part. And when people ask me, "Why are you walking 60 miles in 3 days?", I can answer them - Because I Can.

Why did my friend Emily R and I sleep in a tent in the rain and freezing cold in Atlanta? Because we could.

Why did we get up at the crack of dawn to get to Day One on time? Because we could.

Why did Emily R spend three days popping blisters and bandaging yicky feet? Because she could.

Why did Lynnette and I train mile after mile in the hot Nashville summer? Because we could.

Why did we poop in a porty-potty, shower in a semi, and pass out for the night in a pink tent? Because we could.

So I've started my team. Yes, it involves raising money. Yes, it's a bear to train for. Yes, it's a weekend of unpredictable weather, unknown accommodations, and unbelievable experiences. But it's a great way to spend a weekend, if you want to do something different with your life for a few days. Think about it and join me in San Diego as a walker or crew on Because We Can (password: walker), or find one closer to your own home.

We can all do something in this world. We just have to get started doing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh maaann! My heart is pounding because I'm thinking I've got to join you (in some capacity). I'm going to pray about it and get back with you.