Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Disney Day

Lemme see - today is Wednesday, so I must be .... at Disney World! Let's not get all bogged down with when I was here last, when I'll be here next, blah, blah, blah. Let's just talk about the Disney-ness of today.

I arrived in Orlando mid-morning and decided to do a little outlet shopping before I checked into resort #1 (#2 comes tomorrow). When I was packing (at midnight last night), I was packing my bathing suit and rather pathetic swimsuit coverup. I thought about how I wanted one of those terry Mickey coverups I keep seeing in the shops. Today I got one at the outlet at 50% off - a great start on Disney-ing.

I checked in after lunch, and encountered a short line and check-in cast member who was earning his ears. My room was ready, and ended up facing the golf course and a particular pond that I had once upon a time hit several balls in. I spent part of the afternoon watching golfers do the same. The decor on the neighboring unit was not something I wanted to see while on
vacation, but whatever.





When I went into my room, I noticed a gift basket on the table. The card on it was from the manager of housekeeping. I don't know why I received it, and wondered if it was like an honor bar - open it and you pay for it. I opened it anyway, and found halloween bags, pretzels, chocolate covered pretzels, a Christmas ornament, a rice krispie treat, and a DVC license plate. I'm still confused, but it was a really nice surprise.

I hooked up my computer, only to have a few problems. I called tech support and obviously got Tinkerbelle, who sprinkled pixie dust through the phone and had my computer working before we could even discuss its issues.

I spent the remainder of the day encountering congenial cast members and fellow tourists. I heard many foreign languages and saw even more interesting clothing choices. Even though I'm tired, it's nice to be here.

Today is quite a contrast with last night's trip to O'Charleys. While things do go wrong at Disney, Disney continues to do many things right. They continue to put forth their best effort and put their guests first, which results in more and more of my money being funnelled to them.

Just as last night reminded me to be the light in dark situations, today reminds me to keep doing good in normal, routine situations. It's those little things that continue to draw people in to who you are. It's a connection that make people believe you care about them. It's the little things that are done with kindness and concern that make a difference in someone's life. It doesn't take much - just an effort to show you're aware that somebody else matters.

No comments: