Friday, January 1, 2010

Hello 2010!

Okay, so I really didn't want to do it. I had signed up for this 5k Resolution Run in downtown Nashville along with Steve and Sam. Steve had gone to visit his dad, and I was sitting at home, thinking of a myriad of reasons why I wasn't going to do the race. But then Sam texted me to see if we were going to do it. Yesterday I had announced that even though it was supposed to be cold (think 26 degrees), I would do the race if the sun was out. It was. So after a few minutes of thinking, I told Sam I would come and pick him up and we'd do it.

I certainly didn't expect a good finish time - I think you have to train to do that. But I figured even if I had to walk the whole thing (I didn't), it would be better than not doing it at all. So I did. It was pretty cold, as were the post-race black-eyed peas, but I did it.

One of the pre-race things you could do was to download your own bib and state your 2010 resolution. One lady had hers listed as "Run 500 miles." According to my calculations, that would be about 10 miles a week, or 2 miles a day/5 days a week - a pretty attainable goal. When I picked up my race shirt, I thought about that goal and decided that on the back of this particular shirt, I would list all the races and training runs I did this year. It will be interesting to see how many miles I end up with this year.

So - one thing I'll do in 2010 is log my miles.

Another decision is to curtail the use of my credit card. Instead, I'll use my debit card. Hopefully this will end my credit card shock every month, save me money (when I watch it trickle out of my checking account), and keep my "doo-dad and stuff" accumulation to a minimum of only "what do I need now?"

What else in 2010?

Well, I'm going to be a grandmother. How the heck is this going to play out? The only grandmothers I know a lot about were my own and those of my children. And they were really OLD. This grandmother thing should really be a ride - and I can't wait.

It would really be great if 2010 was THE year that I (a) finally got the food/eating thing under control, (b) became truly committed to exercise, fitness, and training, and (c) as a result, lost a bunch of weight and KEPT IT OFF. Hey, 2010 seems as good a year as any

Maybe not go to Disney as much in 2010. According to my 2009 calendar, I spent a total of 75 days in and about Walt Disney World. And a few more days in Disneyland in California. So maybe cut it in half? Whatever. I'm leaving on Wednesday to go again, so we'll just have to ponder this one.

Get rid of more stuff. In 2009 I unloaded 1200 things. But there's still a lot more that needs to be cleaned out.

I guess this is enough to start. Maybe by this time next year, I'll be slim and trim and actually jogging mile after mile. Maybe I'll be living in a clutter-free zone. Maybe I'll be taking Lindley to Disney World (which technically will not count on MY Disney day count). Maybe next year there will be a whole host of things to report.

2010 looks like a pretty good year!
__________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Resolution Run with Sam and Snowflake lady; taking hot chocolate with Steve and Maribeth and Mathieu as they waited for the REI sale; lunch with Sam, Lynnette, Mathieu, and Maribeth at Cheesecake Factory

No comments: