Monday, June 25, 2012

Old Home Week

Last week the doorbell rang and it was the pest control dude, letting me know he was here for the monthly pest inspection/annihilation.  He looked at me and drawled in a perfect slow Southern accent, "Are you Mrs. Davidson?  Did you used to teach?"

As it turned out, he was a former student of mine.  I would have never recognized him.  As he told me, he is about to turn 30, and when I taught him, he was probably 13.  Apparently I am still recognizable.

Today as I was returning home after having a burger out (at Burger Up) with Maribeth and Everley, Bill The Remodeler Dude called me.  He said that he had somebody that wanted to talk to me.  She got on his phone and said, "Lu, why are you never home?"

It was Lynn, a teacher I taught with many moons ago.  We taught across the hall from each other and shared in many adventures.  The last time we talked/got together, her second daughter was a baby.  That daughter is now in middle school and Lynn had a third daughter in the meantime.

Lynn and I had a lot of fun together.  When the movie "Titanic" came out, we decided to teach a whole unit on the Titanic and take our students to see the movie as the culminating activity.  Luckily I previewed the movie and became aware that while the movie was very resourceful in showing the demise of the ship, it was also very resourceful in showing Kate Winslet's boobies.  Nevertheless, we sent out notes to the parents warning of the totally useless scene (really, Mr. Cameron?) and took the kids anyhow.

Another time I had tickets to see "Rent" at the performance hall here.  We had to work a basketball game (a teacher activity that they don't mention when you're in your college classes) and were wearing our school shirts and blue jeans.  We decided to go to the play anyway, clad in our worn-all-day school outfits, sitting next to those who felt that a night at the theater was a big deal and wore their Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes.

One other fun memory was the time that I told Lynn that I was still making Sam's lunch every day, and he was in high school.  Lynn, who had no children at the time, told me that Sam was big enough to make his own sandwiches, to which I replied (or maybe just thought) that I would make them as long as I could, because there would soon come a day when I would no longer have him to make sandwiches for.  We both remembered this incident, as she recalled, because now she is the one at home making the sandwiches for her girls, knowing the truth that time goes by so quickly and one day there will be no school children who need sandwiches made.

We had a great time reminiscing and remembering.  Her three daughters were with her, and it was great to see so much of her in them.  She has her hands full, much the same as I did back in the day when we taught together. 

I guess it goes to show that time changes and people move apart, but true friends are never separated.  The ties that bind them together are always there - just waiting to be pulled on to bring you back together.
***********************************************************************
Today's blessings:  2 miles with Maribeth and Everley; visiting with Lynn and her girls; lunch with Maribeth and Everley

No comments: