Friday, September 13, 2013

It's Just A Line - Just Not The Last Line

I love the show "Rizzoli and Isles."  I love all the characters and was truly saddened by the suicide of Lee Thompson Young.  However, this week's episode while entertaining, also left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

At the beginning of the episode, a obviously chubby woman with glasses is in her hot tub having a night to herself.  A masked stranger pushes the victim's CD player into the hot tub hoping to kill her.  However, the woman convulses about, and in doing so, manages to pull the plug from the outlet.  She starts to come around, only to have the masked bad person push her down into the hot tub and drown her.  Cue Rizzoli and Isles.

There's another murder that ends up being connected to the hot tub murder, and as it turned out, the hot tub lady's husband was part of a conspiracy to kill his wife.  As disturbing as that scenario is, it wasn't what bugged me - mainly because this is a TV show and I didn't know the hot tub lady.  Because she wasn't a real person.

What bugged me was that during the investigation, the detectives were in the squad room discussing why someone would want to kill the hot tub lady.  She was a professor at a college and had just received tenure.  At first they thought it might be a student she accused of plagiarism, but he said that he actually liked the professor and had been in her hot tub before for a little joint hot-tubbing (and a little joint smoking).

Anyhow, as the detectives were trying to figure out the killer, Detective Korsak (a older detective who's old and sort of pudgy) was looking at old pictures of the lady and her husband and said that perhaps the husband wanted the wife dead because, and I quote, “she let herself go.” Seriously, Korsak?

I know it hit a nerve with me because in the eyes of the world, I've let myself go.  I weigh too much and often dress like a bag lady.  I grew tired of the time and expense of coloring my hair, so I let the gray fly.  I look nothing like I would like to look like, and currently am not working hard (or hardly working) to achieve that goal.  But is that the worst thing in the world?

I'm smart enough to know and rest in the thought that my physical appearance is not the most important part of me.  I know that my best and dearest friends don't care only about what I look like.  I know that the people who are no longer my friends because they are not fans of the way I look are not worth hanging with anymore.

I know all these things, for me and every person who overeats or eats poorly because of the emotional reasons such as believing that the only thing that matters is the outside of this vessel we call ourselves.  But just because I know these things doesn't erase the reality of what some people believe and manage to say out loud.  I just wish I hadn't heard this comment on my favorite show that features two beautiful young woman and was said by an old coot.  Even though it was all just a TV show, it still stung.
****************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  I walked two miles with KB; I managed to cross a few things off my "to do" list; I cooked dinner for most of the family who came over to eat it: Steve and Mathieu's safe travel to and fro; Lindley and Everley time

No comments: